I was referred to an excellent book by David Almany, Prairie Blitz. Almany did something similar to what I’m about to do, following three small town teams along Highway 83 which runs the “50 yard line” of America, from Canada to Mexico. Mr. Almany called his journey the ultimate high school football road trip. With all due respect, I think my road trip has his beat.
I’ll start my trip on July 29th at the Texas High School Coaches Association convention in San Antonio, attend the THSCA all star game on July 30th. After this, I’ll ramble the state visiting different schools during two a days, before the regular season begins.
- Aug.25th- 30th La Marque 3A Ball (Galveston) @ La Marque (Suburban Houston)
- Sept. 1-7th Carthage 3A Lindale @ Carthage (East Texas)
- Sept. 8th-14th Port Lavaca Calhoun 4A Somerset @ PLV Calhoun (Gulf Coast)
- Sept.15th-21st Stamford 1A Colorado @ Stamford (West Texas)
- Sept.22rd-28th Aledo 4A Arlington Heights @ Aledo (DFW Metroplex)
- Sept.29th- Oct.5th Abilene 5A Abilene @ Abilene Cooper ( West Texas)
- Oct.6th-12th Throckmorton 6-Man Bryson @ Throckmorton (West Texas)
- Oct.13th-19th Idalou 2A Denver City @ Idalou (West Texas)
- Oct.20th-26th Round Rock Stony Point 5A RR Westwood @ Stony Point (Central Texas)
- Oct.27th-Nov.2nd Harlingen 5A Har. South @ Harlingen (Rio Grande Valley)
- Nov.3rd-Nov.9th Cedar Hill 5A Cedar Hill @ Midlothian (DFW Metroplex)